Kids On Track
Since 2007, Epiphany has offered Bay Area schools a free educational component of SF Trolley Dances known as Kids on Track.
Kids on Track reaches out to our city’s youth with a program that includes a master class/workshop, meet-the-artist sessions, and exposure to live professional performances through reserved tours for the Friday shows of SFTD. We work with students from grade school through college, as well as home schoolers.
In the weeks leading up to the performances, Artistic Director Kim Epifano and Epiphany’s Teaching Artists visit each participating class to teach workshops in dance, exploring site-specific art and creative movement.
Each school then attends an SFTD performance tour, with guides escorting students and teachers along the journey via trolley and foot, answer questions, and act as safety personnel when needed. Students see the concepts presented in class and meet the performers. Kids on Track reserved performance tours are offered free-of-charge with the exception of the cost of MUNI transfers for the tour!
Kids on Track Includes:
- A master class for your students at your school in a fun atmosphere; encouraging individual creativity and imagination.
- A reserved tour of San Francisco Trolley Dances for your group.
- The opportunity to interact with and explore the performance sties and well as meet this year’s professional dancers.
- Students get to know their own city in a new light.
- Providing access to art in extraordinary settings.
- Adopting a kinetic approach to education and expanding unit studies.
- Developing awareness, appreciation and understanding with sound and movement.
- Using dance and music to emphasize and value our city’s history and architectural landscape.
- Exploring the power of collaboration.
- Developing spatial awareness and relationships through human movement expression.
- Considering and comprehending the value of a diverse community.
- Developing skills in critical review.
- Providing supplementary support in dance technique, performance and productions.
Responses from Kids on Track…
“Dance and art have the power to change your perspective. If you’re willing to keep an open mind, art can show you things you’ve never seen before, appreciate everything, big and small.”
“Made us think about cultural integration of San Francisco and how so many kinds of people and dances work together.”
“Everything about Trolley Dances was exciting and adventurous. The creativity was amazing and endless as was the energy and effort. You could really tell the dancers felt like they were part of something unique and very special. I am so happy I got to see these performances and have a wider range in inspiration.”
“This was my fourth year of attending Trolley Dances with School of the Arts. Every year I am impressed with the variety of dance companies in the Bay Area. This year was stunning as usual.”
“The dancers of Epiphany Production[s] reminded us that we have a beautiful city all around us with rich history that we can’t ignore and we need to explore.”
“Trolley Dances provided another great day of showcasing San Francisco’s unique dance community. I thank Kim Epifano for her master class and her invitation to a special showing on the Friday before the weekend.”
For more information on Kids on Track or to register your class, please contact: email@example.com